Historic Ickenham manor house converted into luxury flats
The landmark Harefield Place in Ickenham, a Grade II listed Georgian manor house built in 1786, has been converted into a new gated development of 25 converted and newly-built luxury flats.
Harefield Place, located off The Drive, has an illustrious history. Sir Roger Newdigate, who built the manor house, was a member of the family who, for almost 440 years, were the Lords of Harefield Manor, a baronetcy created by King Henry VI.
Sir Roger, inspired by the Shakespearean history of the estate, became a major benefactor of Oxford University, supporting English writing and poetry.
The last member of the Newdigate family to live at Harefield Place was Charles (1816-1887), who added a lake and walled kitchen garden.
In 1935, the house ceased being a private home and became the Harefield Country Hospital, a maternity hospital.
In 1959, it sold a parcel of land, which is now the adjacent Harefield Place Golf Club.
The hospital was closed in 1965 and Harefield Place remained vacant until 1981, when it was converted into offices and served as the headquarters of Blockbuster Video until 2014.
The original Georgian mansion now comprises nine luxury apartments, known as the Classic Collection. Steeped in the history and grandeur the Classic Collection of apartments retain many period features while providing generous living space. Alongside this sits a new collection of 16 homes, the Contemporary Collection. Built to compliment the Georgian Mansion with high ceilings and large windows, the Contemporary Collection of apartments offer a more modern open-plan living space.
The development also includes a spa, gymnasium, swimming pool and tennis court and has underground parking.
Restoration has been a two-year project and apartments are priced from £995,000 up to £1,695,000.